The Polish Fair Trade Communities campaign is coordinated by Fairtrade Polska, Buy Responsibly Foundation and the Polish Fair Trade Association. The campaign is a part of the Fair Trade Towns – an international movement, that encourages local communities to promote Fair Trade and shape responsible consumer behaviour towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals.
- Fair Trade Towns
- Fair Trade Schools
- Fair Trade Universities
- Fair Trade Faith Groups
- Fair Trade Scouts
- Fair Trade Nurseries
- Fair Trade at work
Aims of the campaign
- Promote the idea of Fair Trade and sustainable development in Poland
- Encourage local communities to act towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals by supporting the Fair Trade movement.
- Raising awareness about the relationship between consumer choices and the living conditions of producers from the Global South.
Key terms and campaign framework
- For the purposes of this campaign, the document offering a general explanation of basic terms such as: Fair Trade, Fairtrade, Fair Trade product, Fair Trade organization is A charter of Fair Trade Principles, signed by Fairtrade International and World Fair Trade Organization. Another source is Dictionary of Fair Trade Terms compiled by the Polish Fair Trade Association.
- The Fair Trade Communities campaign in Poland is carried out according to the guidelines offered by the International Fair Trade Towns Steering Committee Guidelines for Fair Trade Towns – 2015.
- The coordinators of the campaign agree that Fair Trade certification systems listed in Chapter 2 of International Guide to Fair Trade Labels are a sufficient proof that a given product has been manufactured in accordance with Fair Trade Standards.
Fairtrade Polska is a country-wide public benefit organisation that continues the work of the informal Fair Trade Coalition established in 2009 by the Polish Humanitarian Action and other organizations. Fairtrade Polska is an official representative of Fairtrade International, the owner of the Fairtrade mark placed on Fairtrade-certified products. Fairtrade Polska supports Polish companies in the process of Fairtrade certification, licensing and product marketing. It advocates for sustainable public procurement and aims to raise consumer awareness and the level of global education through such initiatives as Fair Trade Communities.
More information: www.fairtrade.org.pl/about-us
Buy Responsibly Foundation
Buy Responsibly Foundation is a country-wide public benefit organization focused on sustainable development and environmental protection, responsible consumption and production, as well as on human rights observance and environmental protection in the field of business. The Foundation holds educational projects, cooperates with teachers, and other NGOs, addresses entrepreneurs and the government. It publishes its resources on the popular website www.ekonsument.pl. The Foundation is also the creator of guidebooks on sustainable consumption in Polish cities (the so-called conscious consumption tour books) as well as the website „Dobre Zakupy” (Good Shopping) – the first independent ranking of environmentally friendly and socially responsible brands in Poland. Buy Responsibly Foundation is a country-wide public benefit organization focused on sustainable development and environmental protection, responsible consumption and production, as well as human rights and environmental protection in business. The foundation carries out educational projects, cooperates with teachers, and other NGOs, addresses entrepreneurs and authorities. Buy Responsibly publishes its resources on www.ekonsument.pl. The Foundation publishes guidebooks on sustainable consumption in Polish cities (the so-called conscious consumption tour guides) and take part in numerous international projects.
More information: www.ekonsument.pl
Polish Fair Trade Association
Polish Fair Trade Association was established in 2003 by a group of Fair Trade enthusiasts. Since 2010, the Association has been a member of the World Fair Trade Organisation. The Polish Fairtrade Association fights poverty and famine, promotes responsible consumption and Fair Trade. In pursuit of its statutory objectives, it is active in the field of development education, it builds public awareness of sustainable development, responsible consumption and Fair Trade, as well as helps in the formation of the Fair Trade market in Poland. It promotes providing poor producers from the global South with development aid through the sales of Fair Trade products. was established in 2003 by a group of Fair Trade enthusiasts. Since 2010, the association is a member of the World Fair Trade Organisation. The Polish Fair Trade Association fights poverty and famine, promotes responsible consumption and Fair Trade through development education, raising awareness of sustainable development, promoting responsible consumption and Fair Trade and supporting the growth of the Fair Trade market in Poland. Polish Fair Trade Association promotes development aid through the sales of Fair Trade products.
More information: www.sprawiedliwyhandel.pl